Orgs we love
We’ve loosely categorized some local spaces. Please check their websites for more information. You can also visit www.makersinchicago.org to preview several calendars at once.
For Young Makers
- The Fab Lab at the Museum of Science & Industry: 5700 S. Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, IL 60637Part of the MIT network of Fab Labs, which are all over the world! The Fab Lab evolved from the Center for Bits and Atoms, and from a class called “How to Make (almost) Anything.”
- Tinkering Lab: 700 E. Grand Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611At the Tinkering Lab in the Chicago Children’s Museum, kids can explore how things are made with real tools, like hammers, nails, and screws.
- Bit Space: 2451 W. Lawrence Ave., Chicago, IL 60625Youth maker lab with camps and after-school programs.
- Kids Science Labs: South Loop + Lincoln ParkWorkshops and learning for kids 2-12.
Hacker/Makerspaces | Incubators, Studios, & Labs
- Pumping Station One: 3519 N. Elston, Chicago, IL 60618The original Chicago hackerspace, take your making to the next level. Two levels of membership. Some events open to the public, including orientations.
- South Side Hackerspace: 1048 W. 37th St., Chicago, IL 60609
- Make Chicago: 1048 W. 37th St., Chicago, IL 60609. Woodworking space with classes.
- Chicago Tool Library: 1048 W. 37th St., Chicago, IL 60609 . A membership library to borrow all kinds of tools.
- Polsky Center: 1452 E. 53rd St., Chicago, IL 60615. University Fab Lab and incubator with membership open to the community.
- mHUB: 965 W. Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60642. Innovation center focused on physical product development and manufacturing.
- 2112: 4245 N. Knox Avenue, Chicago, IL 60641. Music, film/video and creative technology.
- Lost Arts: 1001 North Branch Street, Chicago, IL 60642. Membership-based makerspace and event space.
- Edgewater Workbench: 1130 W Thorndale, Chicago, ILA makerspace with access to laser cutting and 3D printing near the Thorndale Red Line with daily access or monthly access fees.
- Chicago Industrial Arts & Design Center: 6433 N. Ravenswood, Chicago, IL 60626. Metalworking, woodworking, and casting available to members or students of the space.
- Blue1647: Chicago, IL. Entrepreneurship and tech innovation center.
- Bethel New Life Small Business Development Center: 1140 N. Lamon Ave., Chicago, IL 60651. Technology and entrepreneurship workshops and accelerator.
- Spudnik Press: 1821 W. Hubbard St., Suite 302. Facilities and space for artists and education for those interested in printmaking.
- Lillstreet Art Center: 4401 N. Ravenswood, Chicago, IL 60640. Art classes for kids and adults.
- Reva and David Logan Center for the Arts: 915 E. 60th St., Chicago, IL 60637. The Logan Center presents concerts, exhibitions, performances, programs, and more from world class, emerging, local, and student artists.
- Beverly Arts Center: 2407 W. 111th St., Chicago, IL 60655. Performances, classes, and camps.
- Chicago Park District. Workshops in different crafts across the city!
- Workshop 88 Glen Ellyn, IL. Hackerspace.
- SpaceLab: 222 E 9th St, Lockport, IL 60441. Makerspace in the south ‘burbs.
- FreeGeek Chicago: 3411 W. Diversey Ave., Basement, Chicago IL 60647. 773-342-6205. Earn a computer by volunteering, or buy a refurbished computer. Keep old computers out of landfills by donating them. Learn about open-source software and how to use it on your own computer.
- Rebuilding Exchange: 1740 W. Webster Ave., Chicago, IL 60614. Creating a market for reclaimed building materials.
- Waste Shed: 2842 W. Chicago Ave., Chicago, IL 60622. Collects and sells reusable art and school materials.
- Working Bikes: 2434 S. Western Ave., Chicago, IL 60608. Refurbished bikes!
- Chicago Artists Resource.Professional development, space, and events resource for creatives.
- makexyz. Find a maker or print shop in your neighborhood to print your project (for a fee).
- Chicago Design Museum. 108 N. State St. 3rd Floor, Chicago, IL 60602.
- Meetup.com. Meet like-minded individuals interested in socializing and supporting each other while learning and trying new things. You’ll notice the makerspaces also have Meetup pages.
- Dabble.co. Take one-time, paid classes to discover new interests.
- Skillshare.com: Fee-based online classes.
- r/3Dprinting: part of the social site Reddit, focusing on 3D printing
- 3ders: A news site about 3d printing
- 3ders applications: listing of new applications for 3d printing
- Shapeways: Tutorials and marketplace
- Thingiverse: a site to download 3d printing designs
- Instructables.com: Learn how to do many different things with printable step by step instructions.
- Trimble 3D Warehouse: another site to download 3d objects